Over the last two years, we have slowly…. dare I say that a tortoise would have renovated this kitchen faster than we have?? … we have slowly renovated our dreary kitchen into a space that we really, really like! I’ll share some of the updates we have made in another post, but for this post I specifically wanted to show you what we did this weekend…
Ok, so it is not so much a DIY or a renovation, as it was adding a little touch of personal and pretty… For the last year or so I have been getting really excited about succulents – blame this on the tons of pretty terrarium DIY’s on pinterest, the apparent “easy” upkeep of these plants, or just the sheer prettiness that these varieties are able to produce…
This is our kitchen window display ‘before’ shot: (for anyone interested, I brought the ‘LOVE’ sign at Winners for around $15 CAD).
I like simple. I like clean, minimalist and clutter-less!! But these dollarstore vases (or whatever they are) just did not do anything for me. I would have loved some herbs… every year I try growing herbs (this year will be no different), and every year it is a huge failure. (If you are not getting this, I do not exactly have a ‘green thumb’). So I opted for some succulents instead!!
More specifically I opted for the Jade Plant. I added a little touch of South Africa to my display with these handmade wood birdies that my Mom brought us as a gift on her last visit! I just LOVE how these succulents and little birdies transformed my dreary kitchen display to absolutely gorgeous!! …. Now to keep these plants alive!! 😉
What little change have you made lately that made a really big impact? …. If you haven’t, maybe your answer is… succulents?? 😉
This is a photo of our exterior front of house before were the proud owners of it just over 2 years ago (note the white garage door). As you can see, our garage door used to be white! Nothing wrong with that… but we decided that it definitely needed an update/upgrade! And just for good measure – here is another before photo! (This was just after we had washed it!)
As you can see it is white!! Very very very white!! Here is a close-up of just how dirty these garage doors get (and the scary part is, you never really realize it!!) Ugh!
Here is a shot of the products that were used:
Varathane Gel Stain (in Dark Walnut colour)
Varathane wood finish (water based exterior)
A couple of paint brushes
And some old cloths (not pictured)
I call this a progress post, because we haven’t actually applied the sealer yet. Time kind of slipped by us and before we knew it, it was in the minus temperatures and too cold to apply. First thing come spring, we’ll apply the sealer. Although I have to say that it seems to be doing just fine without it!!
The steps are super easy:
Make sure that the surface that you are applying the gel stain to is very clean!
Apply onto the door, wait a couple of minutes, blend and wipe the excess of with an old cloth.
Me and hubby worked together on this for the most part for the first layer. While I was applying the second layer to the garage, he was building a wood storage rack (which turned out fantastic!).
Here you can see the first layer and part of the second layer. I worked from top left and worked the stain row for row from left to right.
And no post is complete without a photo of at least one of our adorable dogs!!
The look after two layers! (sorry about the harsh light!)
And a final look at our updated exterior (with the newly built wood storage rack on the right!)(and the gorgeous looking garage door!).